George B. Harvey
Mr. Harvey served as chairman, president and chief executive officer of Pitney Bowes, Inc. from 1983 to 1996. He graduated from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1954. Mr. Harvey joined Pitney Bowes in 1957 as an accountant. He became treasurer in 1968, controller in 1972 and vice president of finance in 1973. In 1978 he was promoted to group vice president of business equipment. By 1980, he was elected to the board of directors and was promoted to president and chief operating officer in May, 1981. He was one of the first graduates of the SACIA Community Development Leadership Institute in 1971. He reshaped the workforce at Pitney Bowes, Inc. by aggressively recruiting women and graduates from historically black universities, demanding women “get 35 percent of all new management jobs and promotions” and signing to the board several women and minorities.
George B. Harvey exemplified the commitment of his company, Pitney Bowes, Inc. to the community of Stamford “to help solve problems and make things better.” He successfully led the corporate capital campaign of St. Joseph’s Hospital in 1979. Additionally, he served as president of SACIA in 1985 and 1989. The Hartford Courant designated him Connecticut’s Business Leader of the Year. The United Way of Stamford honored him for chairing the 1998/1999 campaign. The Fairfield County Council of the Boy Scots of America awarded him the Good Scout Award in 1989. The Tri-State United Way designated him for his “Dedicated Leadership” in 1990/91 and 1992/93. The Western Connecticut chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society Silver Hope Chest award recognized him for outstanding business achievements and service to the community in 1992. During the same year, the Easter Seal Rehabilitation Center gave him the Outstanding Service Award in appreciation for his efforts to implement the Americans With Disabilities Act.