Mr. Cameron was a graduate of Williams College and a fellow of the national Society of Actuaries. He later joined The Guardian in 1930 rising from assistant actuary to president and chairman of the board in 1957. In the 1940s, Mr. Cameron was president of the Willard-Hoyt PTA and a director of the Stamford Hills Association.
John L. Cameron was chosen Citizen of the Year in 1966 for his long service to the Stamford community. He was a member of the Board of Representatives from 1949 to 1953, serving as its president for the last year. He then became a member and later chairman of Stamford’s Board of Finance. He was also a member of the Zoning Board. In addition he was a past president of the Ferguson Library Boar of Trustees, a director of the American Cancer Society and led the fund raising efforts for the Stamford Community Chest Fund and the United Fund.